All children love Superheroes!
Superheroes are always in control of themselves. They can manage frustration, anger, anxiety and maintain emotional regulation while leaping over tall buildings and flying through the air. This year Mr. Marquis, our school counsellor, has been visiting our classroom to help the children develop the strategies so that they can be superheroes of self-control too. We have been working on calming down by using ‘lazy eight’ breathing, recognising how we feel and what to do about it, slowing down and being present, developing flexible thinking and having positive thoughts.
As described in the BC Physical and Health curriculum, Mr. Marquis has also been counselling the children in the following competencies:
• Describe ways to prevent and respond to a variety of unsafe and/or uncomfortable situations
• Develop and demonstrate respectful behaviour when participating in activities with others
• Identify caring behaviours among classmates and within families
• Identify and describe practices that promote mental well-being
• Identify and describe feelings and worries
• Identify personal skills, interests, and preferences