What a busy week of project work it has been for Division 1. Luckily, the students will get a day to relax next week after all their hard work. Today, interim reports cards were handed out to students. If there are any questions or concerns, please let me know by sending me an email at Wilson.Chu@burnabyschools.ca.
Our latest “Homework” board looks like this:
- Language Arts
The Breadwinner Summary (Mon, Nov 23)
Parvana’s Journey Plot Diagram (Mon, Nov 23)
Adding/Subtracting Integers Special Cases (Mon, Nov 23)
Adding/Subtracting Integers Word Problems Check-In (Tues, Nov 24)
Multiplying Integers Practice (Mon, Nov 23)
- Social Studies
Cultural Heritage Exploration (due week of Nov 30) Presentations will happen soon!!
- Core French
Dictation on “le calendrier” (Wed, Nov 25)
TypingClub practice – 1 hour per week! (weekly)
In language arts, we have looked at the elements of plot including: characters, setting, conflict, resolution, rising action, turning point/climax, falling action, and theme. Students are working to include all these elements to write a summary following a specific method:
- Somebody: Who is the main character? (characters)
- Somewhere: Explain where the character is. (setting)
- Wanted: What did the main character want?
- But: What problems did the main character encounter? What obstacles prevented the main character from getting what s/he wanted? (conflict)
- So: How did the main character work to solve the problem? How did they get there? (rising action, turning point, falling action)
- Then: How did the story end? What did the main character learn as a result of the problem? (resolution)
- So what?! What does this story allow readers to understand? (theme)
In math, we are continuing to refine our addition and subtraction skills with integers and have just started learning the rules of multiplying integers.
In art and ADST, we are starting a new project to create a winter wonderland paper cut-out landscape. With this project, we are trying to learn about:
- How to be purposeful when using the shade of white and ONLY white
- Details in paper-cutting
- Using line and shadow to highlight feelings and appearances of elegance, beauty, simplicity, and calmness
- Importance of design, iteration, and prototyping
There are no special events happening next week aside from the Professional Development Day on Friday, November 27th.
Friday, November 27th
- Pro-D Day – No School
- November 30th: Science World Tech Workshop (PM)
- December 2nd: Burnaby Art Gallery Architecture/Structures Workshop (PM)