Textbook reference Chapter 5 & 6.1
Optics and the Eye Unit Test Outline
- Know meaning and give examples of vocabulary: transparent, translucent and opaque, reflection, refraction, converging, diverging.
- Draw light ray diagrams.
- Understand what is meant by the terms: normal, angle of incidence, angle of refraction, & angle of reflection
- Draw light ray diagrams of different situations and describe what happens with:
- Convex and concave mirrors
- Convex and concave lens
- Label diagram of the eye ball
- Match eyeball vocabulary
- Know the path of light through the eye ball
- Label the parts of the nephron and the blood vessels surrounding the nephron.
- Know what happens at the different parts of the nephron that contribute to formation of urine: bowman’s capsule, proximal convoluted tubule, descending and ascending loop of Henle, distal convoluted tubule, collecting duct.
- How do the hormones ADH and aldosterone affect blood volume and blood pressure. (Negative feedback control)?
- Label and describe the functions of the parts of the male and female reproductive systems.
- The hormones associated with reproductive system: testosterone, estrogen, progesterone; follicle-stimulating hormoen (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), GnRH, HCG,
- The positive feedback mechanism of oxytocin for birthing and milk let-down.
- Draw and label the parts of a sperm cell
- 46 marks MC & 30 marks written part
Arthropoda Class Notes
Link to videos of the animal phylums: Shape of Life
The study list/ review sheet for the final exam is available for pick up in class if you didn’t get it yet.
Reminder: After the Final Exam you will return your biology textbooks to the multipurpose room in Upper C Wing.
A) Aquarium field trip: Email me Dennis.Lam@burnabyschools.ca
3 pictures that represent your top 3 takeaways from the Aquarium field trip experience.
What did you learn? discover? Something new to you. Something that made you think about a topic. It can be about animals, plants, the environment, human interactions and effects on the environment and aquatic organisms.
B) Library Microplastics topic: Email me Dennis.Lam@burnabyschools.ca
You should have picked up the instructions at the library on May 30th if you didn’t go to the Aquarium. Or come see me in class if you need the instruction sheet.
We have done at least 1 test of our solar oven.
Complete Solar Oven Report #1 online: Solar Oven Report #1
Textbook Reading Check questions are now due now:
- Textbook page 205 # 1-5
- Textbook page 210 #1-7
- Label Neuron structures
- Know the different types of neurons
- Reflex arc diagram (sensory receptor, sensory neuron, interneuron, motor neuron, effector(muscle or gland)
- Describe the action potential graph (Resting potential, Action potential (depolarization & repolarization), refractory period, Na & K Ions involved )
- Label and describe how the synapse works
- Neurotransmitters and respective enzymes (acetylcholine and norepinephrine; acetylcholinesterase & monoamine oxidase)
- Describe and label the reflex arc diagram
- Central nervous system; label and describe brain parts & functions
- Peripheral NS (sympathetic vs parasympathetic and their different effects)
Complete the pages in the booklet.
Day 1 due: Friday May 10
Day 2 due: Monday May 13