Click here to see the post on that day
Classification of Matter and the Structure of the Atom
Be sure to refer to the Topic List Handout given out on in class.
Text pages 246-259 7.1 States of Matter
- Can you explain the 2 characteristics that all matter has?
- Can you name and give examples of the 3 states of matter?
- Can you compare the differences between the 3 states of matter with reference to shape and volume?
- Can you use the kinetic molecular theory (KMT) to explain the 3 states of matter?
- Can you use the KMT to explain what happens during thermal expansion and thermal contraction?
- Can you explain the difference tween thermal energy, heat and temperature?
- Can you use the KMT to explain the changes of states of matter?
- Can you name the 6 changes of states of matter and recognize examples and/ or provide examples of each?
Chemistry Basics for Biologists topic List
Ch2 The Chemical Context of Life
- Atomic models
- Bohr, Lewis dot structures, structural diagrams
- Compare ionic and covalent compounds and bonds
- Reduction and oxidation
- Compare and contrast between inorganic molecules and organic molecules
Ch3 Water and Life
- Chemical structure and properties of water molecules ( polarity, H-bonds)
- Discuss the 4 properties of water and the implications for life on the planet.
- Cohesion, adhesion, surface tension
- Versatile solvent
- Moderates temperature
- The density of ice which allow it to float on water
- Acids and bases (H+ and OH-)
- Ph scale
- Why are buffers important for living organisms?
Ch 4 Carbon and the Molecular Diversity of Life
- The carbon atom and it’s bonds allow for a diversity of carbon compounds
- Recognize and identify chemical groups (Figure 4.9)