The Learning Intentions of the Literature Circles (Book Club):
1. Successfully read a novel at grade level or students’ reading level.
2. Discuss important events/themes/ideas within the novels in class and (on-line- dependent on assignment criteria).
3. Develop deeper discussions about event/themes/ideas within the novel by summarizing text, citing examples, stating and supporting opinions, connecting ideas, listening to and building up the ideas of others.
4. Contribute to the success of the literature circle through preparation, active participation and encouragement.
5. Demonstrate social responsibility by respecting each other through oral discussions and (writing online if this is part of the assignment).