|A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies…The man who never reads lives only one.
– George R.R. Martin
Welcome to English 12!
In English 12, students will continue to study the wondrous and beautiful art form known as Literature. Genres include poetry, drama, short stories, non-fiction and
narrative/memoir-style essays, and (of course!) the novel. Students will also further develop the skills of reading (thinking and forming meaning) and writing (organizing and expressing ideas).
BIG IDEAS in English Language Arts
- Language and text can be a source of creativity and joy.
- Exploring text and story helps us understand ourselves and make connections to others and to the world.
- Exploring and sharing multiple perspectives extends our thinking.
- Developing our understanding of how language works allows us to use it purposefully.
- Texts are created for different purposes and audiences.
- Synthesizing the meaning from different texts and ideas helps us create new understandings.
|Curricular Competencies for English 12|
|Using oral, written, visual, and digital texts, students are expected individually and collaboratively to be able to:
Comprehend and connect
Create and communicate
Classroom Assessment and Evaluation:
Assessment is the process of gathering evidence about what a student knows, understands, and is able to do. Letter grades will be assigned to final assessments according to the following scale.
Summative Assessments – 90%
Poetry Journals – 10%
- I Reports, if needed, will be distributed mid-term as progress reports.
- All students are required to write the English 12 Provincial Exam. The exam counts as 40% of your English 12 mark. The remaining 60% is composed of your class work. You will have a mock exam near the end of the second term to prepare.
- Letters of Recommendation: Please only ask for a letter if you believe I can write you an honest recommendation. If you decide to ask for a reference letter, remember you are asking a favour. Teachers have commitments and busy lives outside of the classroom; therefore, a minimum of two weeks notice is required.