English Studies 12

 

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies…The man who never reads lives only one.

– George R.R. Martin

Welcome to English 12!

In English 12, students will continue to study the wondrous  and beautiful  art form known as Literature.  Genres include poetry, drama, short stories, non-fiction and images-for-gt-stack-of-books-cartoon-black-and-white
narrative/memoir-style essays, and (of course!) the novel.  Students will also further develop the skills of reading (thinking and forming meaning) and writing (organizing and expressing ideas).

BIG IDEAS in English Language Arts

  • Language and text can be a source of creativity and joy.
  • Exploring text and story helps us understand ourselves and make connections to others and to the world.
  • Exploring and sharing multiple perspectives extends our thinking.
  • Developing our understanding of how language works allows us to use it purposefully.
  • Texts are created for different purposes and audiences.
  • Synthesizing the meaning from different texts and ideas helps us create new understandings.
Curricular Competencies for English 12
Using oral, written, visual, and digital texts, students are expected individually and collaboratively to be able to:

Comprehend and connect

  • Access information and ideas for diverse purposes and from a variety of sources and evaluate their relevance, accuracy, and reliability.
  • Apply appropriate strategies in a variety of contexts to comprehend written, oral, visual and multi-modal texts, guide inquiry,
    and extend thinking.
  •  Synthesize ideas from different texts/sources.
  • Recognize and appreciate how different forms, structures, and features of texts reflect different purposes, audiences, and messages.
  • Think critically, creatively, and reflectively to explore ideas within, between, and beyond texts.
  • Recognize and identify the role of personal, social, and cultural contexts, values, and perspectives in texts.
  • Recognize how language constructs personal, social, and cultural identity.
  • Construct meaningful personal connections between self, text, and world.
  • Recognize how literary elements, techniques, and devices enhance and shape meaning and impact.
  • Identify the role of story, narrative, and oral tradition in expressing First Peoples’ perspectives, values, beliefs, and points of view.
  • Examine the diversity within and across First People’s societies represented in texts.
  • Develop an awareness of how First People’s languages and texts reflect their culture, knowledge, history and worldview.
  • Respectfully exchange ideas and viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking.

Create and communicate

  • Use writing and design processes to plan, develop, and create engaging and meaningful literary, imaginative, and informational texts for a variety of purposes and audiences.
  • Assess and refine texts to improve their clarity, effectiveness, and impact according to purpose, audience, and message.
  • Use the conventions of Canadian spelling, grammar, and punctuation proficiently and as appropriate to the context.

Classroom Assessment and Evaluation:

Assessment is the process of gathering evidence about what a student knows, understands, and is able to do.   Letter grades will be assigned to final assessments according to the following scale.

  • A=86-100
  • B=73-85
  • C+=67-72
  • C=60-66
  • C-=50-59
  • F=0-49

Term Weighting

Summative Assessments – 90%

Poetry Journals – 10%

  • I Reports, if needed, will be distributed mid-term as progress reports.
  • All students are required to write the English 12 Provincial Exam. The exam counts as 40% of your English 12 mark.  The remaining 60% is composed of your class work.  You will have a mock exam near the end of the second term to prepare.
  • Letters of Recommendation: Please only ask for a letter if you believe I can write you an honest recommendation.  If you decide to ask for a reference letter, remember you are asking a favour.  Teachers have commitments and busy lives outside of the classroom; therefore, a minimum of two weeks notice is required.